Deciding to Dance
To dance or not to dance is your own personal decision. Do not allow others to
Give yourself time, at least one year, to prepare for your dance. Once decided, you then give tobacco offering to the Sundance Chief and explain why you have decided to dance. Remember, you’re making a four-year commitment to Sundance.
Attending Sundance Meetings
Sundance meetings take place four (4) times a year.
The 4th meeting takes place one evening before the Sundance ceremony begins on a Friday. If you miss all 4 meetings, the Sundance Chief
What you need to dance
For men, your sacred colours, an eagle whistle (one will
For women: a long skirt, sacred colours, an eagle whistle and a Sun Dance badge (one will
All dancers will need warm clothing (in case it gets cold), bedding
Who may attend a Sundance?
Aside from Sundance Elders, special guests, drummers/singers and helpers
The Whapmagoostui Sundance does not discriminate against members of other world nations. Any member of the world nations may attend. However, because of limited space in a Sundance Lodge, priority
In a Sundance, each day, prayers
The Sundance site is Sacred Ground. It’s where we give thanks for, respect and honour life. It is here we pray to the Great Spirit for guidance on the Path of Life. It is a place to interact with many people, so we
The following are guidelines to follow when you’re present in and around the Sundance Lodge (
- Absolutely no food or water is to be brought close to the Lodge.
- Absolutely no drugs or alcohol are allowed on Sacred Grounds.
- No cell phones are allowed inside the Lodge.
- Inside the Lodge, cigarette butts must not be disposed of on the ground (Butt cans will be available).
- No swearing inside the Sacred Grounds is allowed.
- No spitting inside or around the Lodge.
- Arguing or any type of open conflict will be not tolerated within the Sacred Grounds.
- Garbage must be picked up and placed in appropriate containers.
- Absolutely no electronic devices such as iPods or mp3 players and no loud music around the Lodge will be allowed.
- No sexual activity should take place inside the Sacred Grounds during the course of the Bahkudassimouwin Ceremony.
- For dancers, abstinence from sex at least 4 days before and after the ceremony is recommended.
- Parents are advised to closely watch over your children.
- If you choose to camp out at the Site, please be mindful of your neighbours and put lights out after the ceremony is done (night break).
- Bring your own plates, utensils and cups for the feast
- Women on their Moon Time should not go in past the boundary around the Lodge.
- Be prepared for all types of weather (hot, cold, rain, fog, etc).
- No pets are allowed on the ceremonial grounds.
- If you see children doing mischief around the ceremonial grounds, intervene a good way (Don’t get upset).
- Remember: help out where help is needed.
During the fours days of the Sundance Ceremony, it is the time to be compassionate, display kindness, honour, humility and, above all, respect for all.